Away Message Display

Request features that you'd like to see in future versions of AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

imperial1011
Just Registered
Just Registered

Away Message Display

Post by imperial1011 »

I think it would be a good idea if you found out a way to display the away message of the user when you put their cursor over their name..When you do that now, it just tells them the time they've been online, their capabilities, and whether they are away or not. If you could put the away message in the tooltip, even if it isnt in color or anything, it would be a great help to me, because its a hassle to see away messages lol..:lol:
:lol: :lol:
-Jeff
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

One caveat to this that you might want to be aware of, is that checking an away message counts as a message-sent against your rate limit. And, since AIM tooltips popup instantly as you move over buddy names (once the tooltip first pops up, there is an initial delay). So, running your mouse over your buddy list just might make you unable to send messages for a few seconds.

But, of course, I do agree that it would be handy. :)
-Ryan
Big-O Software
imperial1011
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by imperial1011 »

Big-O Ryan wrote:. . .One caveat to this that you might want to be aware of, is that checking an away message counts as a message-sent against your rate limit. . .
That is definately true, but it can remain an option in preferences, and it can be unselected by default, so people like me or others who would like it to be done know when to put their mouse over to look at away messages. Even so, if you leave a mouse cursor over a name, it only goes against your rate limit once anyway, and it will recharge. So unless you run your mouse up and down like a crazy maniac, then i don't see that big of a deal heh.

-Jeff
elitemrp

caching?

Post by elitemrp »

this would probably waste resources but if you could just monitor when users are away/back then you could cache the away message. So you scroll over someones name once, it loads the away message, and whenever you go over it again it just shows the cache until that user comes back / goes away again, then it rechecks and caches... but monitoring all the names on a buddy list to see if they sign off/on might be a waste of memory.
timrosenfeld
Addict
Addict

Post by timrosenfeld »

caching the away message sounds like a smart idea to avoid the rate limit problem, but I really don't think that having the away message in the tooltip would be that useful. What about people who have very long away messages (like I do)? I guess you could truncate it and just add a ... to the end. It could be useful, but I'd have to see it to make my decision
EvilJolly
Addict
Addict

Post by EvilJolly »

*cough* http://discuss.big-o-software.com/viewt ... highlight= *cough*

If you implemented that feature I suggested, going over the rate limit wouldn't be a problem, because it would simply not let you...