Stop file transfers without closing direct connection

Request features that you'd like to see in future versions of AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

EvilJolly
Addict
Addict

Stop file transfers without closing direct connection

Post by EvilJolly »

It would be nice to be able to stop files from sending without closing the connection. One reason this would be useful is because sometimes you forget to check the file size and start sending a 20MB file or something. Another reason would be if the person tells you something which makes you decide not to continue the transfer. By this I mean like if they say "I already have it" then you could just stop the transfer without having to close the connection and reconnect.

Another feature that would be great would be the ability to pause and resume files. I'm not sure if you could do this unless the person on the other end had AIM+ also, but I thought I'd give it a shot.
timrosenfeld
Addict
Addict

Post by timrosenfeld »

this would be a great option
nybbles
Addict
Addict

Post by nybbles »

I also would love this feature, but I don't see how it could be biult into AIM+, it seems like something AOL would have to do. Then again, if you could have AIM+ tell the AOL server, that you closed the window, (when you really didn't)... this way you don't loose the conversation.
EvilJolly
Addict
Addict

Post by EvilJolly »

From what I can remember when I posted that, there is a API that basically tells the AIM client "hey the file is done, you can let them type again." There should be a way to "spoof" a packet and fool the reciever into thinking it has finished the file transfer. I'm not sure how well this would work on the if they don't have AIM+, but perhaps in the same way that it does if someone closes AIM while sending a file. The only problem would be keeping the direct connection. Hey, they're just feature REQUESTS, I never said it would be easy (or possible). :P
Manksgloob

Post by Manksgloob »

nybbles wrote:I also would love this feature, but I don't see how it could be biult into AIM+, it seems like something AOL would have to do. Then again, if you could have AIM+ tell the AOL server, that you closed the window, (when you really didn't)... this way you don't loose the conversation.
well, you dont have to lose the conversation. Under "People" there's Close Direct Connection or something like that.
~Manksgloob
a.k.a. tama2000
EvilJolly
Addict
Addict

Post by EvilJolly »

The main reason I wanted this option is for people with firewalls and other things like that, it might take longer to connect, or you might have to disable something every time you want to let someone connect. This way you could skip that step and just stay connected. I would put this option on the low priority list though. I requested it a while back before we had to move to AIM 5.