Screenname formatting for logfile directory names

Request features that you'd like to see in future versions of AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

crashbangcrunch
Just Registered
Just Registered

Screenname formatting for logfile directory names

Post by crashbangcrunch »

It would be nice if the formatting of the screenname was ignored for the directory names chosen for the logfiles. Currently, there could be many directories for the same screenname depending on how the screenname is formatted.

Spaces should be taken out of the name and it should all be changed to either upper or lower case (or some other consistent format) so that there is only one directory possible no matter how they format their screenname.
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

In the most recent versions of AIM+, there should only be 1 directory used for each buddy (whatever the first way their screenname was formatted when history was stored), regardless of how they format their name. Is this not happening for you, or are you noticing old directories created by previous versions of AIM+?
-Mark
Big-O Software
crashbangcrunch
Just Registered
Just Registered

That's odd because I just downloaded AIM+ for the first time yesterday. I had the screenname change in the middle of a conversation and it created a new directory for the different name, but the second directory had spaces in it, just like the screenname. I would assume that I'm not using an old version since I just got it from your site yesterday, so this may be a bug.

e.g. XYZ4501 changed to X y Z4501. Directories on hard drive (and screennames listed in the history viewer) are XYZ4501 and X y Z4501 so it does not appear to be using the same directory. The actual log is in the corresponding directory.
crashbangcrunch
Just Registered
Just Registered

To clarify my getting it from the site yesterday statement, I mean that that was also the first time I had ever installed it (or even heard of it). This is wonderful software and a big thank you goes out to those involved!
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

crashbangcrunch: I understand, and I'm glad you've been enjoying AIM+!

Could you send an e-mail to big-o@myrealbox.com, and tell me a few things (you could post here if you like, but in case you don't want to publish your SNs, etc..).

First, exactly what is the path to your AIM+ folder go to (you can find this in the AIM+ Preferences).

Second, what exactly was your screen name (with formatting) originally, and then how did you change it.

And, exactly what ended up happening -- histories are simply being put in the new reformatted folder?

This info should help me reproduce it on my machine, then I should be able to fix it. I've heard another report that we're still not handling screenname reformatting ideally..

Thanks!
-Ryan
Big-O Software