Brute-forcing of direct connections.

Request features that you'd like to see in future versions of AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

Juunanagou
Just Registered
Just Registered

Brute-forcing of direct connections.

Post by Juunanagou »

Hi there. I'm sure all of you have at least one of those friends whom you can never seem to direct connect with. Whenever you try to, the firewall error message is returned. The only other alternative is direct connecting with them through Trillian, as it brute-forces the connection, but that gets a little bit too tedious. I was blindly hoping AOL would fix this problem in 4.8, but my expectations were obviously still too high. Perhaps the brilliant programmers at Big-O Software can solve this problem once and for all. It would be a huge convenience to everyone. So what do ya say, Big-O Software? Will you at least consider the idea?
"I wouldn't be considered a genius if it weren't for all the people who are inferior to me."
klipschter

sounds good to me!

Post by klipschter »

i second that. ever since getting my LinkSys router, i have been unable to direct connect.
-justin
killcrap
Addict
Addict

Post by killcrap »

if u have a linksys router or any kind of router try using the dmz feature of the router to open ur ports.
EvilJolly
Addict
Addict

Post by EvilJolly »

Yes setting yourself as DMZ host seems to solve everything. :D I have found that linksys has solved many of these problems with their firmware updates though. When I used to have my BEFSR41 I couldn't direct connect with the OEM firmware, but when I upgraded I could. Although there was another upgrade somewhere down the road which caused problems again, yet was fixed in the next one. Now I have a BEFW11S4 v2 which seems to be very trouble free, it's the same as the BEFSR41 but wireless. Anyways, go here and check out the updates....

http://www.linksys.com/download/

If you have any further problems, just contact me and I'll try and help you setup port forwarding manually, which usually cures even the toughest of problems with these routers.
slimjim1690

Post by slimjim1690 »

it is almost impossible for any 2 networks to direct connect on aim. i owuld love to see this fixed too
SlIMjIm1 69 0
klipschter

i agree

Post by klipschter »

it works with trillian, so lets get it in AIM :) cept trillian will not show the pics in the chat window... grrrrrrrrrr
-justin
ERIKKFI

Post by ERIKKFI »

Yeah, that's just what I want..

Some hacker wannabe forcing a direct connection so he can grab my IP address and packetfloodme.
klipschter

accept it

Post by klipschter »

you would have to accept the connection first. this just will allow you to break free of your own firewall, or if you an your friend share a firwall.
-justin
Merlyn3D
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by Merlyn3D »

AIM 5 is gonna do this, try out the beta!
klipschter

Post by klipschter »

Merlyn3D wrote:AIM 5 is gonna do this, try out the beta!
Will do!
-justin
rashly

Post by rashly »

wait, so is there anyway to currently force a direct connection without the other person acceptiong? does trillian do that?
Matt

Post by Matt »

you can direct connect to someone without their approval if they chose in their prefs that they will always allow a direct connection to happen. the fact of the matter is that most people with linksys or other routers won't let them connect because of firewall issues. trillian goes through diff ports or something to 'force' a connection to the other person. (i'm not completely sure what trillian does...if it uses diff ports or what). i do know that when i use trillian to connect, the other person has to be using trillian, not aim. it would be great if aim+ can put in a feature to do what trillian does to make it 'force' the connection between the people.

note...when i say 'force'...i dont mean forcing it as in not getting the other person's approval, i mean it forces the ports or something to open and get the connection through.

if someone could reply stating what trillian does to make their connection work but not aims, that would be great.
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
bfavre4

Post by bfavre4 »

What's DMZ? Is it hardware or software? Is it a button on the router? What do you do in dmz?

And what do you do with dmz to get direct connect to work?
Ymeaga1n

Post by Ymeaga1n »

bfavre4 wrote:What's DMZ? Is it hardware or software? Is it a button on the router? What do you do in dmz?

And what do you do with dmz to get direct connect to work?
DMZ i forgot what it means but let me tell you what it does...lol go to http://192.168.1.1/ .......and damn im not on my router right now so im going to guess how it goes....click on the advanced tab then go to the DMZ.....................ahh screw it

http://www.linksys.com/tech_helper/advanced.html

go there and it will explain a lot :)
Matt

Post by Matt »

when you get into your router (http://192.168.1.1), click on the Advanced Tab and then on the DMZ Host tab. To sum up what the article said...it just allows your comp to be exposed to the Internet, but not through your router's firewall. This can be unsafe, but if you have a good firewall program (like ZoneAlarm or Sygate), you shouldn't have a problem.
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain