The Future of Big-O Software and AIM+

Discuss anything related to AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Bryan,

Hmmm where to start? Okay well you did a great job on that mess of a log! Nice to see it formated as it is and no spelling errors, and nice grammer.

Also as I have said I would be more then happy to provide you with any chat log that either Mark or Ryan are involved in.

Keep up the great work.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
btvillarin
Addict
Addict

Post by btvillarin »

Thanks man! I think it took me an hour and a half. At least finals are over... :)

I'm gonna try out GAIM for Windows, and let y'all know how it goes. *takes a deep breath*

Bryan
Bryan T. Villarin
btvillarin.com | My System Rig
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

please do. I hate to say it but we all come to a point were is hard to live with our AIM with out a few extra goodies on it :-( My vote is we start trying the diffent programs out there until aim+ come back. That way we all will know what the other are like and we can bring the ideas back here to make AIM+ better. I have yet to find anything that even come even close to AIM+ but it have given me good ideas that could be added to AIM+. right now I revert back to aim 4.8 so I can still use AIM+ because so far everthing else has messed up my computer.
btvillarin
Addict
Addict

Post by btvillarin »

Nice, I got GAIM up and working. So far, nothing bad has happened. :lol:
Bryan T. Villarin
earthdogg911

Post by earthdogg911 »

razorbuzz wrote: Mark, Ryan, myself, and countless others are hackers. Hackers would never do such a thing.
Hacker Definition is the correct, and proper, definition for a hacker. Be sure and read the last sentence in #8. A Cracker is NOT a hacker. Feel free to do your own search, even on something as simple as Yahoo! you will find that definition to be the standard. The media has distorted the image of true hackers, please do not fall prey to it.

White hat? Black hat?
Me, I wear a gray hat..and refuse to work on a RedHat (Slackware and Open are the preferred.)

-=Me
call me crazy but a true hacker wouldn't identify himself as a hacker through traceable means (such as a public bulletin board) and a true hacker would never disclose the identities of other hackers (especially with their personal info posted all over the internet). I think you should trade in the gray hat for a dunce cap.
bfavre4

Re: AIM+ Postponement

Post by bfavre4 »

SpeedyGonGoalie wrote:
loogie_man wrote:I have read all (well, the first two pages) of your comments, and yall seem to be overlooking something...

pdykstra600 wrote:
something sounds kind of weird about this whole thing, and to be honest it almost sounds to me like the people their talking about who were harrasing them was AOL. I mgiht be wrong, but its just a thought.

AOL probably IS who's harassing Mark and Ryan... and not just to harass them. There are probably legal reasons that a version of AIM+ compatible w/ AIM 5.x can not be released, such as copyrights. Most coders would not buckle and fold simply due to some punk fans teasing their product, etc.. And this is also probably why they don't want to explain in much detail why 3.0 can't be released yet (because they don't want to be sued).

This possibility can be somewhat proven by the fact that they said they're still going to be releasing new versions of hkSFV... because it doesn't have any legal problems against it.

Good luck, Big-O...
Here's why this doesn't make sense. DeadAIM RELEASED (as in you can download it) a new version with 5.x compatiblity. MyIM is also announcing the impending release of their newest version with 5.x compatiblity. So why would AOL choose to pick on Big-O?
When is MyIM going to announce 5.x version?
bfavre4

Re: What is wrong with you people?

Post by bfavre4 »

blahman wrote:Have you all lost your minds? Why are you all getting so worked up about an AOL Instant Messenger add-on program? This is not the biggest deal in the world folks. Calm down, go out side, do somthing productive. How shallow can your life be if the main problem in it right now is whether or not an AIM add-on will be released. I do not understand why you people will not upgrade your computer software, just to "stay loyal" to Aim+. That seems kind of silly to me. I guess some of you are just very stubborn and close minded...

Also, DeadAim doesn't "mess up" the AIM executable, it integrates itself into AIM, and works pretty fine on my computer. The options need to be worked on a little, but it seems like the best add-on that is out right now.

Check it out at http://www.JDennis.net

And what do you mean by "integrating" then?
gus

um

Post by gus »

hey, this might be consiedered a pretty stupid question.. but um.. since it looks like AIM + 3.0 isnt coming out anyway, can you give us a list of features it was supposed to have when it came out? im just curious
btvillarin
Addict
Addict

Post by btvillarin »

Ask Matt Pandina at his website. I doubt anyone can answer it here. His email is at the bottom of each page.

http://home.rochester.rr.com/artcfox/MyIM/
Bryan T. Villarin
Anthony

Re: um

Post by Anthony »

gus wrote:hey, this might be consiedered a pretty stupid question.. but um.. since it looks like AIM + 3.0 isnt coming out anyway, can you give us a list of features it was supposed to have when it came out? im just curious
Since Mark and Ryan have took the coming soon page "down", I will not tell you how to find out other then there are ways, and some are very simple, and some at the same time could be very hard...
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

I hate putting up something negitive like this below me but I firugr to keep Iamvoyager from graping to me bout point out that her topic did not go in the right spot I would quote her and post it over here for her
iamvoyager wrote:if the attacker(s) waited until you were going to release then they do not want the program, you are punishing everyone but them. infact since it seems the individual(s) wanted to prevent the release, then they reached their goal, you are rewarding them.

just a thought, of course i dont know everything that went down.
and my repsond to this is I disagree with you. I have posted answer to post like this before and I do not care to retype it all.
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

earthdogg911,

Actually there is nothing wrong with being a hacker. When I worked for hte company formerly known as Compaq (now The New HP), I had involvement with the Linux group. All those developers called themselves "Linux Hackers". This was at the time I didn't know the difference and assumed the term "hacker" was a bad thing. They told me as it defined on many web sites, that a hacker is any programmer that likes to take code and/or network's apart and see what makes them tick. They may enter your site, but they leave the way they came and TOUCH NOTHING. Then they notify the Administrator, tell them how they got in, and here is the key point, they use their own name. As soon as you start dabbling in malscious behavior (like routing calls so you never get billed for them by taking advantage of a security hole) you have entered the world of being a "cracker". Crackers are the people who cause all the problems. Crackers give hackers a bad name because Crackers are hackers gone bad. Plus, as my reading has told me, Crackers work under screen names. They never use their own name (because they don't want to be easily tracked down).

So if someone calls themselves a hacker, it isn't a thing they need to be ashamed of or worried of police persecution. The media is responsible for attaching the negative stigma to the name.

Ray
Axilla
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Axilla »

harra wrote:earthdogg911,

Actually there is nothing wrong with being a hacker. When I worked for hte company formerly known as Compaq (now The New HP), I had involvement with the Linux group. All those developers called themselves "Linux Hackers". This was at the time I didn't know the difference and assumed the term "hacker" was a bad thing. They told me as it defined on many web sites, that a hacker is any programmer that likes to take code and/or network's apart and see what makes them tick. They may enter your site, but they leave the way they came and TOUCH NOTHING. Then they notify the Administrator, tell them how they got in, and here is the key point, they use their own name. As soon as you start dabbling in malscious behavior (like routing calls so you never get billed for them by taking advantage of a security hole) you have entered the world of being a "cracker". Crackers are the people who cause all the problems. Crackers give hackers a bad name because Crackers are hackers gone bad. Plus, as my reading has told me, Crackers work under screen names. They never use their own name (because they don't want to be easily tracked down).

So if someone calls themselves a hacker, it isn't a thing they need to be ashamed of or worried of police persecution. The media is responsible for attaching the negative stigma to the name.

Ray
You are an incredible geek. Mark and Ryan please read my post, the new topic I started.
Michael wrote:In plain English: I am a boy.
For those AOL speakers out there: i ma b0i wat r u a/s/l ken i c ur b00bs?
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

Axilla,

Was calling me a geek a compliment or an insult......lol :-) I'm so old school that being called a geek was never a good thing......;-)

Ray
Last edited by harra on Mon Dec 16, 2002 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gus

Re: um

Post by gus »

aclauser wrote:
gus wrote:hey, this might be consiedered a pretty stupid question.. but um.. since it looks like AIM + 3.0 isnt coming out anyway, can you give us a list of features it was supposed to have when it came out? im just curious
Since Mark and Ryan have took the coming soon page "down", I will not tell you how to find out other then there are ways, and some are very simple, and some at the same time could be very hard...
are you talking about viewing the source? cause there are some things in there.. but those were the old ones, from before the site went down anyway.... they sorta hinted that somethign big was supposed to be happening.... :roll: but if your talking about some other way.... then i have no clue :D