Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

AIM 5.2.3139 Beta Build Released

Post by Big-O Mark »

New in AIM 5.2.3139

Enhanced File Transfer and Direct IM

Now you will be able to connect more often to exchange files with your buddies. For the best File Transfer and Direct IM experience, make sure your buddies are also on the latest Windows or Mac beta client. (In some cases, the connection might fail if your buddy is on an older client. For known issues and helpful hints, click here.)

IM Forwarding

Have Instant Messages delivered to your cell phone, when you're away from your PC! With AIM 5.2, you can be online, all the time, anywhere. Register your cell phone with IM Forwarding, and you'll continue to receive your IMs after you sign out of AIM

Send IMs to Mobile Phones

Now you can send instant messages to your buddies' cell phones. Just add their mobile numbers directly to your buddy list, or type their number into the IM form.
Looks like the only thing that's really new in this beta is the enhanced firewall support. That's pretty nice for everyone stuck behind firewalls that they can't do anything about.
-Mark
Big-O Software
fuuucckkers

Re: AIM 5.2.3139 Beta Build Released

Post by fuuucckkers »

Big-O Mark wrote:New in AIM 5.2.3139

Looks like the only thing that's really new in this beta is the enhanced firewall support. That's pretty nice for everyone stuck behind firewalls that they can't do anything about.
That would be me. Stuck behind a router cause my house is networked. But then again it doesnt bother me..cause I refuse to upgrade anyways, due to the fact 5.x and AIM+ doesnt work for me using Win98se :-?
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

you know I may just have to download the beta just so I can send an recieve files. Right now I keep hitting a proublem where I can not do that. I believe the fire wall would have to be server side since I know neither of my computer have one.
The only problem is I would have to give up my AIM+ with 4.8 which init self is not quit worth doing. I am in a delma here
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

I don't see what the big deal is. I just send the files via e-mail, but anybody I send files to are people I know anyway. Plus, if you are on dial-up you aren't going to get any better performance through Direct Connect than you would just e-mailing it
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

when i cant DC to sum1, i just tell them to use my loader...... easiest way aside of a DC.

simple submit button and thats it :)

its teh infamous life of brian gaut to teh max0r!
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

...Must download....NOW!!!
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

no the stuff I was having trouble with is to big to email though hot mail (5-60 megs)
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

Now the real question: Does this "enhanced" firewall support actually work?
Moon Child
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Moon Child »

Good point. It sucks being behind a campus' firewall and not being able to direct connect for various reasons. I had a friend try to send me something through direct connect once and had to resort to using a file transfer instead. Maybe I'll check it out, but who knows.
~Maeg

Resident LP Fanatic

*Nobody likes you when you're 23* - Blink 182

DADINK13

Post by DADINK13 »

Sometimes neither method work for me. That's annoying. But now in case I have to send somebody something, I can always upload it to my website and they can download it themselves. 8)
Moon Child
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Moon Child »

That would work in your case, or anyone else on the boards that has their own server... lol. But for me to send someone something, I still have to go through the file transfer, unless they were here on my campus.
~Maeg

Resident LP Fanatic

*Nobody likes you when you're 23* - Blink 182

tone
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by tone »

I myself am stuck behind a router. The thing i have found was that there a certain people i can connect with and others i cant. I havent found a pattern in which whom i can and can't connect with, but i will try to look for one.
tone
aaii
Addict
Addict

Post by aaii »

pre 5.2 "enhanced" DC it is actually quite simple.

User 1 requests DC/file transfer and User 2 accepts.
User 2's AIM client tries to connect to User 1's client.
If User 1 is firewalled or behind a NAT device then timeout occurs and the attempt switches to User 1's client connecting to User 2.

If both users are firewalled then you are screwed. Hence the invention of this AOL "proxy" server for DCs.