Desktop screen shots

Hardware, Software, Internet, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, jester22c

Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

Out of curiosity...what did you change your start button to say?
ashtray
Addict
Addict

Post by ashtray »

here we go.... let me know what you think... oh and just so you know, thats a menu in the center, you just cant see the mouse pointer...
please stop. now.
ashtray
Addict
Addict

Post by ashtray »

another thing.... if you look at my desktop, notice how everything is black except the dock... anyone know a way i could have the icons monochrome when idle, and then become colorized when i move my mouse over it? i think it would be a great thing to implement into a dock, but i dont know of any that are capable....
please stop. now.
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

........of all the customized and modded desktops ive seen online and stuff... for some reason, yours just really stands out a lot.

Best. Desktop. Ever.

so how'd ya do it all??

its teh infamous life of brian gaut to teh max0r!
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

It looks like DesktopX to me.
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

Plasma2002b wrote:Best. Desktop. Ever.
Could be because it's so....welll....black?

Yea it is cool and all, but if you think about it, imagine opening a blank Word document. You go from black to white in a split second. Painful to the eyes. Especially on a large monitor. :o
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

It IS LiteStep. It's open source too.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

DADINK13 wrote: imagine opening a blank Word document. You go from black to white in a split second.

thats why you get a different text editor and use as your default and set the window properties in it 8)

cant ya do that with textpad?

DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

Plasma2002b wrote:cant ya do that with textpad?
Probably, but the way I see it, my desktop isn't too dark--its dark enough to be able to look at it at night and not hurt your eyes painfully...and with my terrible vision, that's an added plus.

I just can't look at a 17" monitor with a blank document open completely--that's why I use Word in a window.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Word in a window? How does that work?
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

he meant just not maximized

ashtray
Addict
Addict

Post by ashtray »

well first i'm running litestep. if you're not familiar with it, it replaces the windows shell. its not for the faint of heart, however, as all the sttings are done entirely through text files. however the options are endless. for more information check out: http://www.shellfront.org, particularly http://lsdocs.shellfront.org/, where you can find an in-depth tutorial and explantion of litestep. search sites such as http://www.deskmod.com and http://www.deviantart.com in their litestep sections for all the different themes available. litestep is open source and there are hundreds of plugins, called modules, available that can do pretty much anything.
the theme i have running is called monochrome and has by far the best design i've ever seen (i dont remember who made it, but its on deviantart.) these are the other parts of my desktop:
1: winamp controls, run by a litestep module (i forget the name)

2: menu, basically replaces the windows start button. its endlessly configurable, and can have anything you want on it, i.e., shortcuts to folders, applications, etc. the menu is called up by right clicking anywhere on the desktop or taskbar (the taskbar is always visible)

3:email indicator, run by a litestep plugin called lsmail, also totally configurable, can be put anywhere on the desktop, have different font, multiple accounts, and i think even graphics.

4:title bar. part of the tiny taskbar, always visible, can be rotated between several different views: winamp track title and time, system specs (cpu %, ram usage, swap file), an internet explorer style address bar, or nothing

5: also related to the winamp module, this is windows volume control, winamp audio control (wav), and another bar that shows song progression. it rotates like the title bar when you click on it.

6: objectdock, a nifty program from stardock, still in beta so its free (unlike the rest of stardock's object desktop suite). the top part shows icons for whatever windows are open, the bottom bar is a dock similar to that of OS X. all the icons can be changed, a clock can be added, any number of shortcuts can be added, transparency settings, and gets magnified when the mouse is over it. icons are from the snowe collection: http://www.rad-e8.com

7:window theme, i forgot the name, found it on deskmod, i'm not quite happy with it (haven't decided if it matches the rest of the desktop.)

thats that. i'm done typing forever.
please stop. now.
DADINK13

Post by DADINK13 »

KooLTaB101 wrote:Word in a window? How does that work?
Like this:
Matt

Post by Matt »

Yes...plasma's post cleared it up. I had thought you meant that you had a window open and then ran word in that other program....nevermind...it makes sense now.
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

ok..... im gonna check into litestep......... but how does replacing the shell do on performance and speed of ur PC overall? is it affected at all?