Any ETA on the new version?

Discuss anything related to hkSFV.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

I'm sorry you all feel that way.

We're working as hard as we can to put together a quality release of hkSFV. However, there's not a lot of money in developing free software, so we have to devote most of our time to jobs that pay the bills. We very much enjoy what we do here and would love to have more time to devote to it. We eagerly anticipate the next public release of hkSFV.
-Mark
Big-O Software
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

Anonymous wrote:This is taking far too long...
Then you have zero patience. Like Mark said, they don't make money off this. Him and Ryan have jobs and lives outside of developing a FREE peice of software. They do it in their FREE time. But when working full time, FREE time is hard to find. I know what they're talking about--I work 40+ hours each week. I have no FREE time. So, if you're gonna complain about not getting a FREE peice of software when you think you should, you're talking to the wrong people.

...Did I forget to mention that it's FREE and developed in their FREE time? :wink:

Post by Guest »

Patience has nothing to do with it.
If the developer says that we should expect a new release within two weeks and then months later there's still nothing, how is that related to patience?
You are FREE to use the word FREE as many times you like, it still doesn't change the fact that the new version was supposed to be out ages ago.
I'm the one who originally created this thread and wouldn't it been a lot easier to just answer with: "When it's done."?
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

No... because "When it's done" is a trademark of The phpBB Group ;).

But to be serious...

It is free. When something is free you are not allowed to expect it out at any date except for the exact date (down to the day) that the developer states. As far as I can tell no one ever stated any amount of time other then "soon". The problem with "soon" is "soon" could be days, weeks, or years depending on who says it.

I don't mind people that make it odvious they are excited about something, but to pretty much demand they give you a set date is just rude and ridiculous.

How many programs do you know that are awsome and are at version 2.x in less then a year? I can think of 2 right now, and they both come from Big-O.... If you can find a lot more programs that are as good as Big-O's software for what it does, and has been in devloped for less then a year I would love to get a PM from you.

To sum this post up in one line... Patience has everything to do with it.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ

Post by Guest »

OK, so when the dev posts this:
Originally posted by Big-O Mark:
Hopefully in the next few weeks we'll have a new version of hkSFV ready that will implement some of the most common feature requests.
we are not to take it seriously? Next few weeks is not to be interpreted as two or three weeks but maybe 6-9+ weeks?

Once again, patience has nothing to do with what has been said...
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

PhaseDMA wrote:No... because "When it's done" is a trademark of The phpBB Group ;).
Actually that belongs to the developers of Duke Nukem Forever.

Guest wrote:Once again, patience has nothing to do with what has been said...
Again, refer to what Mark said:
Big-O Mark wrote: However, there's not a lot of money in developing free software, so we have to devote most of our time to jobs that pay the bills.
How much time do you have working full-time? Oh yea, do you even work...let alone full-time? If you answered "no" to at least one of those questions, then you don't have anything to say. When you're working 40+ hours a week, you'll find out just how much FREE time you'll have.

So stop the whining already. Whining won't get it any faster. Deal with it.

Maybe this thread should get locked or something? This is starting to turn into a "I'm bitter because I didn't get my FREE software yet!!" thread. :roll:
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Thank you Carl.

I can give you a time frame.... Between now... and then...

I mean really... I give exact dates on my site, and tend to fall behind my date, but I don't remember ONCE hearing anyone say anything about it.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

I do not wany any sort of a flame war generated here. I'm just as disappointed as everyone else anticipating the next release of hkSFV. We've put a lot of hard work into it, but keep finding one more bug or one more feature to add, and feel that these fixes / additions will make hkSFV an even more valuable tool. A lack of time to devote to software development has slowed down the completion of hkSFV. We'd like to make it as bugfree and polished as possible before it is released, however, this goal makes things take even a little while longer.

In the end, hopefully everyone will see something soon. The version in development is much more stable and bugfree, adds a few crucial features, and in general looks much nicer.
-Mark
Big-O Software

Post by Guest »

PhaseDMA wrote:I give exact dates on my site, and tend to fall behind my date, but I don't remember ONCE hearing anyone say anything about it.
That would require actual visitors. :roll:

Post by Guest »

DADINK13 wrote:
PhaseDMA wrote:No... because "When it's done" is a trademark of The phpBB Group ;).
Actually that belongs to the developers of Duke Nukem Forever.

Guest wrote:Once again, patience has nothing to do with what has been said...
Again, refer to what Mark said:
Big-O Mark wrote: However, there's not a lot of money in developing free software, so we have to devote most of our time to jobs that pay the bills.
How much time do you have working full-time? Oh yea, do you even work...let alone full-time? If you answered "no" to at least one of those questions, then you don't have anything to say. When you're working 40+ hours a week, you'll find out just how much FREE time you'll have.

So stop the whining already. Whining won't get it any faster. Deal with it.

Maybe this thread should get locked or something? This is starting to turn into a "I'm bitter because I didn't get my FREE software yet!!" thread. :roll:
Maybe this thread should be closed cuz of you two nazi wannabe mods completely missing my point...
Robpol86_

Post by Robpol86_ »

ppl like u really anger me. u ppl demand sumthing when they give a release date for free software.
Hopefully in the next few weeks we'll have a new version of hkSFV ready that will implement some of the most common feature requests.
HOPEFULLY. meaning there not certain. impatient and spoiled ppl like u mess things up in progs. ppl over @ the mta forums rushed the team to release the prog early and it turned out to be buggy and horrible. i dont want the same thing happening 2 hkSFV cuz im actually waiting for the next release...

Post by Guest »

Robpol86_ wrote:ppl like u really anger me. u ppl demand sumthing when they give a release date for free software.
HOPEFULLY. meaning there not certain. impatient and spoiled ppl like u mess things up in progs. ppl over @ the mta forums rushed the team to release the prog early and it turned out to be buggy and horrible. i dont want the same thing happening 2 hkSFV cuz im actually waiting for the next release...
Um, hkSFV is already buggy. You think I want a new release only because of the new features?
Robpol86
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robpol86 »

what i meant was that when u rush the devs, it will end up in a program thats not as good as it was intended for. if u rush them, hkSFV will be more buggy than it was before
DADINK13

Post by DADINK13 »

Anonymous wrote:Maybe this thread should be closed cuz of you two nazi wannabe mods completely missing my point...
First of all, don't call me a Nazi. You don't want me mad. Second: I understand your point. You want a peice of software that's FREE to be released right away. If you're tired of waiting, then that's your problem. Please don't bitch to us. That's something we don't wanna hear.

And your attitude isn't a very mature one if you ask me. A lot of other people seem to understand that it takes time to develop and beta-test software. And when working 40+ hours a week, there isn't much free time to devote to side-projects. I have three I'm working on and I don't have time to work on them.

Point being: Shutup and wait. Patience is a virtue. LEARN IT!!

The Thread Nazi has spoken. :roll:
Robpol86
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robpol86 »

i think this thread should b locked b4 it gets out of hand