AIM+ = Virus?

Discuss anything related to AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

Consolamentum
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by Consolamentum »

One of my friends said "Somehow, EXACTLY after I installed it on my computer, it went bonkers, and a scan revealed a virus." Then another friend confirmed his doubts.

Are they on crack?
I figured there might be a conflict between AIM+ and some antivirus softwares.
Has anyone else experienced this?

Post by Guest »

Actually I have Norton AntiVirus 2002, and I have found NO virus!
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

[ Despite the trolling subject line and the lack of content in this post, I will leave it (for the time being).. and I will add this.. ]

The computers on my subnet (both development/personal machines, and servers) are scanned with Norton Antivirus 2002 (version 8). We have had no issues with viruses, or conflicts with the AV software.

In addition, thousands of people have downloaded AIM+ since its release, and this is the only report I've heard of any problems with viruses or AntiVirus software. (and, I'll point out that the poster did not even claim to have experienced these problems ["my friend said".. with no mention of which AV software was in use])

If you DO experience problems with AIM+ and AntiVirus software, please let me know (try to provide some information: which AV software was in use, exactly what problem or error occurred).

To sum it up: AIM+ neither contains, nor IS, a virus.

-Ryan
Big-O Software

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Big-O Software on 2001-12-13 05:06 ]</font>
Consolamentum-

Post by Consolamentum- »

I'm sorry if what I said was offensive. I tried to remain as polite as I could be. Although I do not use AIM on a regular basis, this program makes my life easier when I actually get on it. I just wanted some clarification and see if anyone else had experienced this.

My friend is using Trend Micro-Pro online to scan his computer for potential viruses. You may delete this topic, as I already saved Big-O-Software's intervention.
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

It wasn't that you said anything strictly offensive - I just felt a bit slandered, that in the first few hours of its release someone was accusing AIM+ of being a virus.

Anyway, I'm certain that if this was a problem, one of the thosands of people who downloaded AIM+ in the last few days would have gotten in touch with me, and it hasn't happened. Also, I don't think any damage has been done - people didn't seem to be scared off (which was, of course, my real concern with your initial post).

Also, I'm glad to hear that you do get a chance to use AIM+. If you have any suggestions or comments in the future, don't hesitate to post them.

-Ryan
Big-O Software