Use a firewall, go to jail, and send Bill Gates too

Hardware, Software, Internet, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, jester22c

fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

The previous article which I posted about using a Firewall, and how many states adopted it and that it would be illegal was only partially true. I just found this article over at http://theregister.co.uk -- which hold the truth. It's really scarey that 2 of our own states are looking to adopt regulations that Firewalls, SSL, NAT will become illegal. Read on.... post your opinions.

Source: http://www.theregister.co.uk
By John Lettice
Posted: 28/03/2003 at 16:48 GMT

The (DMCA) Digital Millennium Copyright Act clearly isn't enough for some people. Massachusetts and Texas are - in curious formation - considering bills that will extend it to make firewalls (among other things) illegal.

The strange synchronicity is illustrated by a quick look at the draft of the Texas bill then comparing it with the Massachusetts one, which you'll find in RTF format at Ed Felten's Freedom to Tinker, here. The strikeouts indicate that both, for whatever reason, have decided not to repress video this time around.

The repression that remains is however impressive. Felten points to this wording:

(b) Offense defined.--Any person commits an offense if he knowingly:

(1) possesses, uses, manufactures, develops, assembles, distributes, transfers, imports into this state, licenses, leases, sells or offers, promotes or advertises for sale, use or distribution any communication device:

(i) for the commission of a theft of a communication service or to receive, intercept, disrupt, transmit, re-transmits, decrypt, acquire or facilitate the receipt, interception, disruption, transmission, re-transmission, decryption or acquisition of any communication service without the express consent or express authorization of the communication service provider; or

(ii) to conceal or to assist another to conceal from any communication service provider, or from any lawful authority, the existence or place of origin or destination of any communication

Over to Ed here, because he puts it so well:

"Your ISP is a communication service provider, so anything that concealed the origin or destination of any communication from your ISP would be illegal -- with no exceptions.

"If you send or receive your email via an encrypted connection, you're in violation, because the 'To' and 'From' lines of the emails are concealed from your ISP by encryption. (The encryption conceals the destinations of outgoing messages, and the sources of incoming messages.)

"Worse yet, Network Address Translation (NAT), a technology widely used for enterprise security, operates by translating the 'from' and 'to' fields of Internet packets, thereby concealing the source or destination of each packet, and hence violating these bills. Most security 'firewalls' use NAT, so if you use a firewall, you're in violation.

"If you have a home DSL router, or if you use the 'Internet Connection Sharing' feature of your favorite operating system product, you're in violation because these connection sharing technologies use NAT. Most operating system products (including every version of Windows introduced in the last five years, and virtually all versions of Linux) would also apparently be banned, because they support connection sharing via NAT."

Ed points out that this boils down to 'use a firewall, go to jail,' but we really think he's not being nearly ambitious enough here. It strikes us that, as the proud owner of Internet Connection Sharing, Bill Gates develops, distributes and licenses a communications device which is used to conceal "the existence or place of origin or destination of any communication." So we say, 'use a a firewall, go to jail, but also send Bill Gates to jail.' Ah, decisions, decisions... ®
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

OKay...this one is actually for real? You're not screwing with us again?
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Once again this bill will not get passed, and even if it did congress would eventually call it unconstitutional (if it got that far even).
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
nybbles
Addict
Addict

Post by nybbles »

That's the stupidest thing I've ever read. They pass that thing, I'll be the first person protesting....
Violinist, Composer, and Technology Hobbyist
Music Performance Major Penn State University
Sverdlove.com/MusicalHorizon.com "Site Admin"
http://www.sverdlove.com
http://www.musicalhorizon.com
rocket733

Post by rocket733 »

Wow, some of the stuff they are trying to pull is total bs, and too bad I'm not old enough to vote bc the sentor of my distract is a total idiot who's in favor of all sorts of restricting measures on computers and copyright laws.
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

This is for real this time.. the other article i posted.. which is surprisingly similar was a hoax article.. but now I believe I figured out where they got their info from. Here.

But I do agree with most of you that it would be rejected only because of privacy concerns. If it's illegal to use NAT, SSL, or even a firewall in those state listed.. how would you protect your business? your networks?? They expect crackers to stay away from those businesses that arent using secured websites for transactions? I highly doubt it.

Monetary losses and businesses will be leaving those states if that bill ever gets passed into law.
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

I also saw a similar article on www.news.com. What would happen is that companies would have to remove their networks off the internet and no more websites, etc. if this passed. Until it was deemed unconstitutional, the law would stand.
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

PhaseDMA wrote:Once again this bill will not get passed, and even if it did congress would eventually call it unconstitutional (if it got that far even).
The Supreme Court would declare it unconstitutional. The Congress does not have that power.

I doubt this will pass though, and if it does, most likely it will be amended to allow for firewalls -- or it will be the type of law that is never prosecuted (like many facets of copyright law, for instance).
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Yes yes Supreme Cout (opps).

Can't you not follow a law if it is activly being put to the test in court? Of course there are actions took if you lose in court but...

Also what about grandfather laws? As long as they don't change they way they are doing things (ie No upgrades or such) they would be okay...
Last edited by Anthony on Wed Apr 02, 2003 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

I don't think so, unless the court issues a stay or something along those lines. A law is enforceable until it is declared unenforceable for some reason, and you still need to follow it, even if it is being appealed or hung up in court somewhere.
Robpol86
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robpol86 »

thats impossible! u cant do that... the internet is a big network and there using routers. all were using is a network device segmenting our network from another network
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

Yes they can do that. The World Wide Web is a giant network combining different entitities. Technically these entities have granted access to others, outside their own entity access to their network. The gov't can do anything they want and until the Supreme Court shoots their idea down as unconstitutional the law stands.

If a stupid concept as this was allowed to be passed, companies and individuals in those states would have to remove their presence from the World Wide Web. It doesn't sound like it forbids the use of such devices for internal networks (i.e. Intranets). It would be a sad day for the IT world because we are all coming to rely on the Internet to get our information about companies and their products.

For some of hte larger companies in Texas they could just move their equipment to outside the boundries of those states. For those who host their own sites (individuals) it might increase the business for web hosts who have their equipment outside those states
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

The simple way around this is to have all servers sit outside of these states though right?

Say I'm in Rochester, but all my website's servers are in Detroit (which they are), and Rochester has this law, I could still keep my website right?
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

Without getting access the the exact bill being proposed it's hard to tell what can and cannot be done. Also, some bills are so vague that once passed they are up for the interpretation of a judge. That's why so many cases end up moving up the "food chain" of the judicial system. THe final stop being the US Supreme Court.
Moon Child
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Moon Child »

PhaseDMA wrote:The simple way around this is to have all servers sit outside of these states though right?

Say I'm in Rochester, but all my website's servers are in Detroit (which they are), and Rochester has this law, I could still keep my website right?
Because of situations like those (not saying its an issue now, but thinking more along the lines of e-commerce), laws relating to the internet are still being developed and argued over. Problems with laws, such as the application of a state sales tax on internet purchases, are becoming common. That's why on your income tax there is a section about buying items over the internet.

Which state sales tax would you apply on an item bought by someone in Florida from an online store based in Montana? Some people say the state of the store, others the state of the buyer. Its too hard to make a fair decision in situations like that. I know this doesn't completely go along with what you are asking, but its reasons like that, justifying which state's law is applicable, that I don't see it getting passed. I could be wrong, but that's my opinion. And if it did, I would think you would still be able to keep your website.
~Maeg

Resident LP Fanatic

*Nobody likes you when you're 23* - Blink 182