hi

Whatever (keep it TV-14).

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, Anthony

Nathan
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Nathan »

Jon8RFC wrote:
Timelessblur wrote:I am curtently take a new drug that works extramly well for me and it is NOT a stimulant.
I know what you're taking!! Straterra, right? ;) My sis is a pharmacist so I've heard about that drug recently. I bet you like it a lot right? It's a pretty good drug from what she's told me.
i didnt know what you guys were talking about here so i had to do some research
SO DONT MOCK ME
Moon Child
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Moon Child »

Didn't they start to stop using Ritalin and other such stimulants to treat ADD? I thought that I heard that somewhere because of one reason or another.

Axilla, I wish you could have taken a class I took this summer. It was an intro to special education (gifted students, physically or mentally disabled, ld, etc.) which is required for ALL education majors at my school. One of the topics (and a whole chapter) we discussed was ADHD. According to the text,
Exceptional Learners: Introduction to Special Education, 9th Edition wrote:Again, like learning disabilities, evidence points to heredity as playing a very strong role in causing the neurological dysfunction, with teratogenic and other medical factors also implicated to a lesser degree.
I would have to agree with Timeless and the others based on that, plus my own observations. My younger brother was diagnosed with ADHD when he was in second grade. After I started college, and noticed how I have changed, I always wondered if I also had it. Yes, it can be diagnosed in adulthood. I'll have to take a look at the diagnostic criteria in my book and think about it sometime.

Oh, and the definition according to dictionary.com of teratogenic is "Of, relating to, or causing malformations of an embryo or fetus." Just in case anyone else needed to know.
~Maeg

Resident LP Fanatic

*Nobody likes you when you're 23* - Blink 182

DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

Moon Child wrote:After I started college, and noticed how I have changed, I always wondered if I also had it. Yes, it can be diagnosed in adulthood. I'll have to take a look at the diagnostic criteria in my book and think about it sometime.
Analyzing yourself is can be scary, so be careful.

About adult diagnosis: I wasn't diagnosed with ADD until this past year--I'm twenty. I didn't get diagnosed until after I was dismissed from college due to a poor gradepoint average. It wasn't because I didn't try. I probably put in twice as much work as other people, but my efforts never showed. And after my diagnosis, going back and thinking about how I performed in middle school and high school, it makes sense.

People with learning disabilities are, in a sense, more intelligent than others, but have a much more difficult time getting that intelligence on paper. Generally people with learning disabilities show outstanding abilities in certain aspects--in my case, I show an outstanding natural mechanical ability. Others are phenominal number crunchers, and so forth. Just because a person can't spell right, or can't sit and read something (I tried to read Fellowship of the Ring this summer, and got through less than a hundred pages in three months) doesn't mean that they're not very smart people. While that person can't spell well, they are probably very articulate in their speech. While that person might not be able to sit and read a whole book, they could still fully understand the book's themes by reading only a small portion of it.

Oh yea, and just how Bipolar disorder/Manic Depression is genetic, so are learning disabilites. You can see them in multiple generations in families.
Moon Child
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Moon Child »

What you were referring to is what is called twice exceptional. They have a gift in one area, but some form of challenge in another. (Wow... class actually paid off lol)

I'll definately be careful looking through that. I was going to go and see about getting diagnosed through the school this summer, but never got around to it.

I'm glad I had to take that class though. It opened my eyes a little wider to some things that I thought I knew quite a bit about.
~Maeg

Resident LP Fanatic

*Nobody likes you when you're 23* - Blink 182

Axilla
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Axilla »

Axilla wrote:my name being misspelled isn't original, in counter strike, people always spell it Auxilla or Axillia (you probably cant tell the difference between those though) so it doesn't piss me off (since another member told me that is the effect you're going for)
insomica wrote:Axilla have you ever thought that he misspells your name on purpose just to make you upset?
Well well well, the last horse finally crosses the finish line.

(Its a Family Guy reference, I don't think you're the last horse. ;-)
Michael wrote:In plain English: I am a boy.
For those AOL speakers out there: i ma b0i wat r u a/s/l ken i c ur b00bs?
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

I think I can be used as a Good example of for the streaght in one area and extramly weak in another. Along with be extramly above adverage in integenges.

I was lucky that my mom was a teacher so she noticed that I had many of the prim systimos of be dysixic and back then it was a fairly new thing that they just where learning about. I have a slight speech disablity but that is cause by being dysillic and I was test for it. My IQ at the last test was at 140 but all that is known is that my real IQ is higher than that but because of bother ADHD and Dylixia that number is always lower than the real number. I was found out ot have ADHD back in I want to say 4th grade so it been known I have had it for a while. I was just lucky that it was know early on. Also I am extramly strong and Math and anything that comes to numbers well above average. I have never had to put much effert into learning math and I can easily figure out the harder stuff and learn in extramly fast. Hell I can cram for a math test 1 hour before it and pull of an A and retrain the matrial better than most.
Another advatage I have is I memorize stuff extramly well and much faster than the adverage person because one way I adapted to dealing with dyxical but I was not really learning the matial and I tend to retain that memozied stuff for a very long period of time. Now I dont understand it but I can put it down on a test and do pretty well.

Now I am extramly weak when it come to enighish and the writing side as for the fact that my thoughs are general not orgized and it is extramly difficut to get what is in my head down on some type of paper (be they type or hand writen). A trick i use now to deal with it is what I call free writing and there is where I just write everything out then go back and fix it on the computer. A big part of the reason I dont write stuff out by hand and the fact that my hand writing is impossible to read. (Along with the fact that I can type almost as fast as I can write by hand). Also what makes writing difficult is thoughs come to me as I am writing and they sound really good in my head but they dont fit in that location in the paper. Lastly I tend to make a lot of errors out side of spelling. Like missing words, I will jump tenses when I am writing. If you every had a im convo with me you will noticed I forget to put words in like am or the m. In my head I am thinking it but it does not make it down on paper. But in writing a paper it tends to add up and you notic it a lot more. That is why I stuggle massive in engish or any subjuect that required me to write. On adverage I put in 3-4 times as much time as most people do on the same assment just to get it to a B paper. What most people could write out in 30 min and have it sound pretty good would take me 1.5-2 hours before I could even edited it and look back though it for error. So far I have gotten lucky because either my mom look it over really fast and email back to me when I got it done ahead of time. On one of them I got really crunch for time my friend Jessi saved my ass. She told me to send her the paper and she would run the spell checker and fix all my errors for me. While I work on another assiment. It helped me out a lot.

Another reason I made it though school was my Mom really pushed me hard and forced me to do my home work and to complete stuff which I am very glad she in hind site even though it cause several fights bettween us. But she did try diffent drugs trying to help me. Hell my mom is the only reason I made it though enigish 1301 because she forced me to write my papers and she made me stick to my plans on what I wanted to get done. Right now I been running on stratra and honstely I am have the easiest time ever doing home work. The only problem I see with stratta right now is how much it cost so a lot of people q prouble will not be able to take it. With insurrense I think it come out to $50 a month for me and that will more than likely increase at Xmas when my doctor said that he may increase my dosage up to 60 mg a day (currently taking 40mg). Also the fact that it is a new drug I wornder what the long term effects of it will be.

Damn long post writen over a time of 1.5 hours (I was also jumping bettween writing this and workin on cleaning up a homework assiment I did nin excal due tommorrow so I was not working straigh on it.
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas
Nathan
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Nathan »

i just realized my hand twiches alot
what does that mean
ive always ignored it
but now that were on the topic of disabilities
do i have some kind of disability other than that i suck at reading
Chinchilla!
Addict
Addict

Post by Chinchilla! »

Timelessblur, don't take this as an insult, but more as a suggestion. If you would run your comments through a spell checker before posting them, then I, and I'm sure others, will be more willing to read your posts and take what you have to say more seriously.
Nathan
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Nathan »

i was in no way insulting timeless in whatever this post used to say...
i mean this post always said this and i didnt edit it...
Last edited by Nathan on Sat Nov 08, 2003 2:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bethany is cool
Plasma2002b wrote:ill open YOUR port.....!
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

rokbass - You may have only 10 less posts then Chinchilla, but Chinchilla knows a lot more then you about how things operate... People tend to hate comments like that from new members... The fact that timeless has been around a much longer time then you only adds to the pot.

Simply put... If your going to stay, you are going to want to lay off now.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

You know I will take the comment from Chinchilla! because he knows what he is talking about (plus it was really well put and I took it to heart) but when you are a brand new memeber it is antoher story and the fact that is was a insult

As for my post I was pretty tired at the time to really think about it. I had been doing homework for the past 5-6 hours so my mind was not all there. (damn exal spreed sheet if I remeber right dealing with macros) and I was working on in betweeen my my homework and the post. I did not know how long it was going ot take ot put it all together and hell I did not even know my post was that long until Chinchilla! said something.
Axilla
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Axilla »

Timelessblur wrote:Damn long post writen over a time of 1.5 hours (I was also jumping bettween writing this and workin on cleaning up a homework assiment I did nin excal due tommorrow so I was not working straigh on it.
Chinchilla! wrote:Timelessblur, don't take this as an insult, but more as a suggestion. If you would run your comments through a spell checker before posting them, then I, and I'm sure others, will be more willing to read your posts and take what you have to say more seriously.
Timelessblur wrote:hell I did not even know my post was that long until Chinchilla! said something.
Huh :?:

Also, I don't know why people think post count or length of membership matters...it doesnt.
Michael wrote:In plain English: I am a boy.
For those AOL speakers out there: i ma b0i wat r u a/s/l ken i c ur b00bs?
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

oh it counts for something just not very much. If you are a newbie you dont have much say. On new sites I use memeber ship lengh as a giuld until I figure out how everyone fits in.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Length of membership has a lot to do with how people think of others... Of course if you know someone from another board, then it's the same as them having been at the board the entire time.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Nathan
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Nathan »

ok, i know im a new member
and i know you all know a whole lot more about how things operate
i really did not mean that as an insult
i was just agreeing with chinchilla that you had some spelling errors
and i assumed it was either late or you typed it fast when you posted it
i didnt mean for everyone to get pissed at me for my post
so i hope you all understand i wasn't meaning that as an insult
-that is all
-im sorry
Last edited by Nathan on Wed Oct 15, 2003 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.