The Future of Big-O Software and AIM+

Discuss anything related to AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

localh0st
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by localh0st »

Just a question,

I didn't bother to read all 40 or so pages, so the question I'm about to ask may have been already stated and answered. If so, please tell me.

Anyway, couldn't you guys release AIM+ as Open Source? That way, everyone could have it, import their own snippits of code, find bugs, etc. This would also give you guys an oppertunity to focus more on the "outside world."
-Powered by w00t.
AnonymousJckAss
Just Registered
Just Registered

?????????

Post by AnonymousJckAss »

:evil: i dont get how just because u have threats u cant release the AIM+ 3.0 program, wut does AIM+ have to deal with ur guys personal matters?
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

localh0st wrote:I didn't bother to read all 40 or so pages, so the question I'm about to ask may have been already stated and answered. If so, please tell me.
If anyone does not feel like reading all 40 or so pages (I don't think I'd want to, at this point, either), just about every commonly asked question is answered here:

http://discuss.big-o-software.com/viewtopic.php?t=2265
-Mark
Big-O Software
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

AnonymousJckAss wrote:
localh0st wrote:Just a question,

I didn't bother to read all 40 or so pages, so the question I'm about to ask may have been already stated and answered. If so, please tell me.

Anyway, couldn't you guys release AIM+ as Open Source? That way, everyone could have it, import their own snippits of code, find bugs, etc. This would also give you guys an oppertunity to focus more on the "outside world."
Hmmm maybe that whould work

Yes the name does suit me good
AAAAAH....we went over this open source thing a few times already.
btvillarin
Addict
Addict

Post by btvillarin »

Just posting for my sig to be shown...
Bryan T. Villarin
btvillarin.com | My System Rig
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

My qustion is how many people really did read that Big-O will not be making AIM+ open source (no I am not trying to thow punches because I belive some people did not read it, but not all these people that say other wise).
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
ZildjianB

Post by ZildjianB »

aclauser wrote:My qustion is how many people really did read that Big-O will not be making AIM+ open source (no I am not trying to thow punches because I belive some people did not read it, but not all these people that say other wise).
Ryan did a good job answering this in the Big-O-Chat Q/A. Here's the quote below:
Big-O Ryan wrote:Ah, the open-source question. Well, it's not something I've ever considered, until we had to start thinking about the end of AIM+.

At this point, we've seriously considered probably everything that you can think of, and that includes open source. Seeing AIM+ simply die was really near the bottom of our wishlist. I'm pretty sure we're not going to make it open-source right now, but it's certainly not an impossibility.

(For the record, though, I don't think I need to be convinced of the benefits of open-source. I'm really quite familiar with it, and the advantages, especially at this point in our 'game', are obvious)
If anyone needs to catch up, I would recommend using the links on btvillarins' site--you'll just get a headache trying to go through the past 40 pages.
Hokie
Just Registered
Just Registered

Problems with Current Explainations

Post by Hokie »

Here is my list of problems with the explanations that have been given for the discontinuance of AIM+:
1. If releasing AIM+ v3 was causing problems, why release bug fixes and updates to v2? Wouldn't this provoke the same sort of response?
2. If your information is already out there, which I might say has been impossible to track down as I have not been able to find anything, why would moving forward with a release cause you any more harassment? If people are going to harass you why would not releasing v3 stop them?
3. If the coding is done and the program has been compiled and it runs fine, suffice it say that you all are using it and maybe even some of your close friends. Why not distribute the release through a third party and not hype it. It would take months for people to realize it was on the Gnuetella Network or on IRC. This would deflate any reason the persons harassing you might have and it mitigates your direct role in the release.
4. If you are being harassed so much (a doubt considering you are still running the site, still plan to release other software, and are still expecting to release some updates to the current AIM+) why not pursue some legal action that would prevent the harassing individuals from practicing their trade?

There are just some questions I've had and hope you don't take offense, but thought they could use some explanation.

Cheers,
Andy
whosurdaddy

Re: Problems with Current Explainations

Post by whosurdaddy »

Why not distribute the release through a third party and not hype it. It would take months for people to realize it was on the Gnuetella Network or on IRC.
i bet it wouldnt take minutes for people to find it on the gnuetella network, im sure a lot of people check, and it would mostly be found by search accidentally. and then other websites would put it up and whatnot...but it wouldnt take months
FuzzzyLAd
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by FuzzzyLAd »

Just realease AIM= i mean its the best
i want to use soem of the features!!! lol can u at least release something i mean its your most popular product!!!! so just try to relaese it!!!
AHHHH I LOVE AIM+
Briguy16315
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by Briguy16315 »

i can't say i'm not utterly dissappointed by the fact that aim+ 3.0 won't be available for us. it upsets me that idiots on the i-net can do so much damage to such a great program. i understand that you are busy now with your jobs, and that you're discouraged by the attacks. but discontinuing production seems a little harsh. there are thousands of AIM+ users out there who absolutely adore your software. i'm one of them. ever since i discovered it, i've been in love with the program. so, please don't allow some immature dumbasses to get you down. i hope to see future productions of IM's greatest program. good luck.byes
XIII
Addict
Addict

Post by XIII »

arrrgg, i just got DeadAIM and damn does it suck. o well.
Anarchy and Peace - Learn and Teach.
Kill the panda!
bryan988
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by bryan988 »

1. If releasing AIM+ v3 was causing problems, why release bug fixes and updates to v2? Wouldn't this provoke the same sort of response?

That's true. What is the point of an update,if that'll cause the same harrassment as the real version... so instead of doing an update... just release the real 3.0.
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

bryan988 wrote:1. If releasing AIM+ v3 was causing problems, why release bug fixes and updates to v2? Wouldn't this provoke the same sort of response?

That's true. What is the point of an update,if that'll cause the same harrassment as the real version... so instead of doing an update... just release the real 3.0.
You're right, and we won't be releasing any updates.

Check out the very first post in this thread again. I added a note to the bottom, since the original statement was blatantly incorrect. We have no plans to release more versions of AIM+ at all.
-Ryan
Big-O Software
AnonymousJckAss
Just Registered
Just Registered

????????

Post by AnonymousJckAss »

If you guys dont plan on releasing n e more verison, then i guess that means to us all that u dont ever plan on releasing AIM+ 3v...........what a dissappointment :sad: