AIM+ History: Text Format!

Request features that you'd like to see in future versions of AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

SEntrySafe

AIM+ History: Text Format!

Post by SEntrySafe »

I may just not understand how to do this, but as far as i know there is no option to keep your history in text format (the way trillian does for example) i cam over to AIM+ from trillian and decided this proggie was the ish, but when i came to moving my history over to AIM+ i met problems, with all my history in text and AIM+ handling it in html.

to those who dont see my problem as a big deal and this does not appeal to them, as they havent encountered such a problem themselves, consider that if you like to save your message, and youve had AIM+ for, say, 6 months, html takes up substantially more space than text format.. so ya might consider buying a seperate HD for html history, lol.. or have the nifty option of switching to text. yall hear what im sayin? gimme the support! can i get a woop woop..? no....? :sad:
Thyme
Addict
Addict

Post by Thyme »

Just go through each one and copy paste them into notepad ;)
Puns don't kill people. People kill people... usually with guns, knives, or something else physically threatening... puns just don't quite cut it... unlike knives, which cut a lot of things...
Punny Buddy Icons: assbuddy.tk
SEntrySafe

Post by SEntrySafe »

yaaaah duuuuude. :) i know how to do that, im talkin about an OPTION to log in text, i think its better in text, it takes up less space which is important to me cuz i dont have the cash to buy new HDs right now, and im sure its not hard to make some kind of switch to change between txt logging and html. uhhh so ya, back to support and ideas, less of telling me things i already know and throwing aside my idea :D thankee sirs

edit: my initial reaction was to come off like a jerk, my bad thyme, thank you for the idea
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

well, the main prob is that AIM WORKS in html.... it sends and displays in html.... so to do it in text format, AIM+ would have to implement a seperate encoder or sumthin

its teh infamous life of brian gaut to teh max0r!
SEntrySafe

Post by SEntrySafe »

i dunno about that seperate encoder thing, aim comes with the option to save individual sessions in html or txt. and trillian, my previous example, i beleive runs in the same manner, and it logs txt. but ya i dunno what kinda prollems there are with implementing it, as i am a step and a quick jump away from creating my own proggies still. i havent ever done any uhhh "research" in that area. does anyone like this idea? :D
Thyme
Addict
Addict

Post by Thyme »

Stripping HTML would be really easy, especially if the language has regular expresison search and replaces.
Puns don't kill people. People kill people... usually with guns, knives, or something else physically threatening... puns just don't quite cut it... unlike knives, which cut a lot of things...
Punny Buddy Icons: assbuddy.tk
SEntrySafe

Post by SEntrySafe »

Meaning it would be easy to implement into AIM+? :wink: hehhehehe
tone
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by tone »

just copy and paste.......and stop being lazy
tone
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

it aint that easy just to copy and paste raw html when working with AIM.... it doesnt really like it :-?

tone
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by tone »

lol i dont even know what hes talking bout i just though you could copy and paste....i didnt really read the post yet :oops:
tone
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

Logging in text format would be easy to do, which is why a lot of logging programs do it. But, there's just no real reason to do it, which is why AIM+ doesn't do it.

HTML looks nicer, and from the HTML you can always (as they've said above), copy and paste to get the plain-text. If you log in plain-text, you can never get your HTML back. :)

And while HTML logging is much larger than plain-text logs would be, both create very small log files. It takes a lot of chatting even to get a handful of MB.

Regardless, whenever time permits I'll add a plain-text logging feature - I do plan it.
-Ryan
Big-O Software
nunubutt
Addict
Addict

Post by nunubutt »

Big-O Ryan wrote: It takes a lot of chatting even to get a handful of MB.

HAHAHA a little chatting? Hm... i have 19 mb from less than a year of chatting, can anyone beat that?

Oh by the way, having html using colors is much easier to read ur history instead of black and white all day long, at least for my eeyes
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

20 mb in less than a YEAR??? heh... i got 9mb from about 4 to 5 months of chatting... and thats NOT including chatrooms

tone
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by tone »

lol 7 mb in a 2 months and half
tone
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

I'm not sure if the intention was that 20mb was a lot of chat logs, or a little, but at the current going rate for hard drives, 20mb of space would run you less than 2 cents. So, even years worth of chatting (for most people) shouldn't amount to too much.

But, regardless, there are better ways to make the histories smaller than plain-text logging, and I'm definitely looking into those ways - but not sure what will come of that, or when.
-Ryan
Big-O Software